Each and Every organization has some key elements, which play an important role in business environment and is called as operational management. it is very important for organization to managing, designing and controlling the business activities or operations effectively and efficiently. This management system is providing an idea for understanding the business logics and their functions. This is an effective procedure to understand the needs and requirements of business operations. Operational management especially deals with the other firms in finding needs of resources and utilizations and they develop an efficient product that would be helping
Marks and Spencer is the fastest growing organization to explore their business all over the world. They are planning an effective strategy to solve the issues and problems in proper way. This organization uses different technologies and platforms to understand business process like critical situations and network planning etc.
This report will determine the roles and responsibilities of managers and leaders in an organization. They try to achieve their goals and objectives therefore; it will maintain the quality of product.
P1 Compare the different roles and characteristics of a leader and a manager
Leader and manager are important for organization to handle business process in proper manner. Leader is a person who manage all the business functionality therefore, it also collecting essential information for growth and development. They have specific vision towards the growth and it also provides the details and knowledge of product. It will balance the coordination between stakeholder and other team members (Brueller and Markman, 2018.). Manager is also important to handle the business process in proper way. It also implements an innovative idea for growth and development.
Roles and Characteristics of leader-
There are some unique roles and characteristics of leader discussed below:
Honesty- This is important quality in leaders which are provides the correct information to their clients and customer. They are especially concerned about the growth and development. The leadership quality is the best skill of any leader to manage the business operations in proper manner. Honesty is essential for organization to increase their productivity and profitability in marketplace.
Communication Skill- A leader has good communication skills to easily understand requirements of customers and it provides correct information related to products purchased, delivery information etc. This is an effective quality while helping other team members and working together on the same project (Dorgigné and Gourbesville, 2018). Communication is expressing emotions, expectations, advice and issues towards staff and organizations. This is the best technique to meet all goals and objectives.
Providing guidance- A leader is not only provides the information but also guide towards the role of business operations. They performing different task to achieve their goals and objectives. Guidance means to instruct someone towards his or her roles and responsibilities. Therefore, it easily understanding the business operations and provide the important details regarding the companies.
Motivation- A leader plays an important role to influences and motivate their employee. They mainly focus on goals and objectives and try to establish a unique business all over the world. This is the best way to increase the productivity and profitability in marketplace.
Role and Characteristics of Manager-
There are some unique roles and characteristics of manager discuss in given below:
Leadership- A manager is an important part of organization that has effective skills and quality to perform different functions and operations. Marks and Spencer hire Talented manager to handle all business activities and operations in proper manner. Being a manager, there are lots of responsibilities to manage all business process and leading a team. (Enea and Osborne, 2018)
Experience- It is hard for manager to performing a leadership role in business process. Marks and Spencer is a leading organization that has efficient manager to manage the whole business operations in proper manner. Manager is conducting an event for employee because with the help of event, it easily enhances their skill and knowledge for growth and development.
Time management- Time management is essential for organization to complete their task on time. It is an important key for organization because the firm provide more priority to the time management. The manager of Marks and Spencer is interact with the other worker to share their opinion and view point for growth and development.
Planning strategy- Manager always planning an innovative idea for increase their sales and productivity in global marketplace. The effective strategy is essential for business to enhance their branches all over the world. Marks and Spencer is a leading organization to launch a new product in marketplace.
P2 the role of a leader and the function of a manager apply in different situational contexts
The manager and leader is important people to performing various functions to achieve their targets in which both have capabilities and quality to increase their sales and productivity in marketplace. They will help to mark and Spencer to enhance their product on other countries as well as cities. The manager and leader is adopting a new technology and platform to developing an effective product in market (Gray and Massimino, 2018). They will try to launch a new product and new ideas implementing in the product features. This is the best way to planning to increase their brand image in market.
The role of manager and leader creates an effective strategy to moving in the right direction to fulfil all the goals of organization. There are variety of function performing in management system that is helps for organization to increase their growth level in global market. Marks and Spencer is the fastest growing organization to facing issues elated the price of product, raw materials, equipment etc. All is required phase for increasing their productivity in which it can be implementing a new approaches and ideas. Leader and manager is coordinating between each other and sharing the important information. They are making an effective plan to handle the critical situations such as cost of product and manufacture to change the revenue and sales in the organization.
There are many theories implementing for growth to enhance the business in which leadership quality is explores the company form bottom to top level. Marks and Spencer is mainly focuses on the theories and these theories combine with the quality of leadership to decrease the cost of manufactures. This important theories is applied by marks and Spencer to deals with the different situations to increase the production of product and cost of product in marketplace. Management is mainly focuses to putting some efforts by manager a leader to achieve the objective. They are working with the team members to identifying the performance of each employee because there are important duties of every leader and manager to managing their role and responsibilities towards the business process.
P3 Evaluate different theories and models of approach, including situational leadership, systems leadership and contingency
There are many approaches and theories applicable in the marks and Spencer that can be considers as a leadership quality in the company. The leadership quality and skill is very essential for organization to understand the need of customer and employee. It will manage the whole business activities and operations in proper ways. A leader is performing a different task and functions to achieve their goals (Leone and Porretta, 2018). This task is describe in given below:
- A leader is always influence or motivate to their employee to focus on their work. They have clear vision to concern about the future and past.
- It is creating an effective strategy and planning for growth and development. They develop an efficient team to managing the business operations and functions. It will manage their mission and vision of organization.
There are different theories and approaches includes in the leadership which are discussed in given below:
Situational Leadership- This leadership quality is very important for organization to adjust their style according to the client and customers. For growth and development, it is very important for company to uses different technology and tools that execute a new idea in the product development. The situational leadership is change their pattern and style according the requirement because most of the cases, the customer has demanding a new product that is not available in market so it is better for organization to handle the situation with the help of situation leadership quality (Maring and Blauw, 2018). Manager and leaders has capabilities and skill to produce a new product according to meet the customer need. Marks and Spencer is easily handles the issues and problem with the help of their efficient manager and leaders.
System leadership- System leadership quality is applied in Marks and Spencer because it controls all employee and their working style with the help of this leadership. Manager is communicates with their employee to identify the need and requirement of customer. Marks and Spencer required to making change in their business operations and the implementing an effective strategies and planning for growth and development. This leadership style is improves the quality of product and cost of manufacturing in each department.
Contingency- This leadership style is not very effective and not very best way to managing the business operations (Mulhanga and Lima, 2018). The functionality and operational of marks and Spencer is depends upon their external and internal factor or situations. A leader and manager is putting some efforts to enhance and increase their profitability and productivity in marketplace. The management is try to motivate to their employee so that they performing well for growth and development.
P4 key approaches to operations management and the role that leaders and managers play
Operational management is essential part of organization to managing the business plans and providing the best services and goods in market. This management is providing the various functions to control the business operations and functions such as materials, strength of output, labour conditions. The best example is marks and Spencer. It is a leading organization to performing many tasks. They have an efficient management system of this organization to design ,controlling the business process with the help of technology. There are some important approaches which applicable in business development such as Leading, controlling, planning and organizing.
Planning- Planning is important function that has some specific goals and targets suitable for business development. The manager of marks Spencer is planning new strategy for growth and development. Manager is playing an important role to managing the whole business process and they have capabilities taking a right decision at the time of business. Planning is the best approach to understand the need and requirement of customer and organization (Nohara and Sato, 2018). A planner is aware about the market value and brand value. There are various planning involved in business process such as operational planning, tactical planning and strategic planning etc.
Leading- The team leader is very important person to managing the whole business process in proper way. Marks and Spencer is a leading organization to provide the right information to their employee. They communicate with the manager to sharing all information related product and delivery. A good leader is try to achieve the goals and targets of organization because they an efficient leadership style to managing, controlling all the business in proper manner.
Organizing- The manager of Marks and Spencer is providing all resources of the firm in very effective way to fulfil all the need and requirement of organization. The main role of leader to influences and motivate to their employee and performing various functions such as the resources are available that would be utilizes and generate an effective outcome. Each and every organization is conducting many events for personality development of employee. Most of the important events and business meeting are organizing by company that would be provides all facilitates and services to clients.
Controlling- the business strategy is implementing in the process of growth where all the process is controlled by manager because he is important leader of organization to understand the need of business. First of all, the manager is identifying the performance of employee and provides a guidance related the planning, marketing research etc (Prajogo and Cheng, 2018). Controlling is essential for business process to managing the operations in effectively and efficiently.
Directing- Manager is try to motivates or influence their employee to achieve their goals and targets. They mainly focus on building an effective coordination between employee and management. Manager provides only information to their employee but a good leader is playing important role to creating an efficient team to provide the right direction. Manager always provide the right direction to their employee and also motivates towards their goals and objectives.
Staffing- this is important responsibilities of manager and leader to recruit the right person who has capabilities and skill to develop their business all over the world. This is the best approaches to finding the talented person to always focus on their objectives (Ramos and Barbosa-Póvoa, 2018). Leader is influences to their employee and allocate their work according to the capabilities and knowledge of people. Staffing is main part of organization because they improve the quality of services in marketplace. It always uses different techniques to change their working style so that the customer impress with their services.
Coordinating- Marks and Spencer is the organization to coordinating between the departments in proper way which is essential to interact with other departments and sharing the information. For example- According to marks and Spencer, there are various departments such as finance and production department that coordinating between each other. This organization is provides the best quality of product in very reasonable rate. A good leader is developing a planning to managing the communication between the departments. Leadership quality has better communication skill that is helping for growth and development.
P5 Importance and value of operations management in achieving business objectives
Operational management is crucial part of organization to performing different task such as controlling, planning, supervising, managing and organizing etc. The main objective of this management to provide the product and services on time. There are importance of operational management in business development.
Operational management is a term that are managing the business operations with the help of planning because without making an efficient strategy, it can not be possible to achieve their goals and tagetes. It will manage the daily business activities in proper manner. This management process is applicable in required resources such as money, labours and raw material for product development. For growth and development, it performing various operations like planning, leading coordinating, organizing and staffing, directing etc.
This management system is improves the quality of product and overall increase the productivity and profitability (Repetto and Tizzi,2018). This process is contributes to making an effective product to their customer. It is the heart of firm that can control the entire business operations in proper manner.
Operational management is performing various business functions to achieve their goals and targets. In terms of output and input, it will increase the productivity in marketplace. With the help of performance it will measure the efficiency of manager and leader in the organization. They mainly focus on the resources to deals with the goals.
Most of the organization is believes that operational management is not essential for organization but after discovered, it will find that the functioning and operations of organization is important. It easily identifying the roles and responsibilities of business development. It also handles the critical issues and problems like maintenance of equipment and system, design and operation's etc. It also found manufacture any type of raw material making an effective quality of goods and services to their customer. It is very necessary part of organization to managing their sales and promotions in marketplace.
P6 Assess the factors within the business environment that impact upon operational management and decision-making by leaders and managers
The factors of the business concern situation of Marks and Spencer that can feeling the operational social control and decision devising of director and leaders can be the skilfulness of the person, on which the decisions regard the leading style applied count and the carrying into human action of the worker are the major component in the happening of the functional social control that consist of the total quality direction.
On that point are respective factors which are touching the business state of affairs of an administration. This also leads an contact on the functional social control and determination making of the leadership and director. These component can be interior as well as outside and can bear upon the business situation negatively or fix. The administration within the Marks and Spencer needs to focussing on these weather in order to get the better of the factors in efficacious manner. The antithetical factors which powerfulness the operational social control and determination making are as follows -
- Missionary post and subjective– With respect to ever-changing business geographical area and competition the Marks and Spencer needs to change their goals and objectives. The modification in goals and impersonal needs a located business organization plan of action and plans of the trading operations within the arrangement which is a leading impinging on the overall administration of the steadfast (Tavakoli and Pouresmaeil, 2018). Organisation is to set the particular objective as per the need of current employment and increase market share. Some changes are made as per he need of overall market share.
- Economic value System –This factor is based on the criterion and civilization of the organisation. The assorted policies, rules and regulative framework of an organization affect the concern state of dealings has a great contact on the operational administration as well as the decision making procedure of the leaders and managers. The policies of a business often changes according to various situation and needs, this change also greatly affect the organisational structure and functionality.
- Commercial enterprise factors – Every organisation in order to perform the business operations and functions requires finance or investment. For example production of goods requires raw material, machine and human resource, These necessitate can not be consummated without the inaccessibility of finance. Hence, organize trading operations and decision making activity are greatly affected by the fiscal constituent. In this factor to be focus on some rates will be change for improving overall market sector. There are implementation as per the need of organisation and other factor as well.
- Governmental factors – These are cause which are accompanying to the laws of the authorities which are imposed on organize, The authorities policies are all-important to be travel by each and every arrangement as its appreciable to do disregard the authorities policies and laws. The system of normal order or laws can have a constructive as well pessimistic contact on the trading operations as well as determination making by the leadership and the come through director of an arrangement. It is help to improve the current employment as well as future change for improving organisation sector. This is help to manage work as well as profitability must be change for improving overall market share. This is to be give positive and negative impact on it for improving performance level of organisational sector. This is help to improving future conditions. Marks and Spencer is the best organization to use efficient raw material and converts into the better quality of product in marketplace. In this way, it increases their sales, productivity and profitability in marketplace. Some times, it is very complicated process because it will deeply understand the knowledge and skill of business process with the help of organization.
This report is mainly identifying the different the roles and responsibilities of manager and leader in business process because it can be achieve their task and goals with the help of leader and manger. These are important peoples to making an effective strategy and planning to achieve their goals and targets. There are various approaches and theories using for increase their productivity and profitability in marketplace. These approaches are plays important role in growth and development. There are different factors that impact on the business operations and functions. As per discussion, it concluded that the Operational management is crucial part of organization to performing different task such as controlling, planning, supervising, managing and organizing etc. The main objective of this management to provide the product and services on time. There are importance of operational management in business development.
Visit the sample section of our website and enjoy more such informative write-ups written by our dissertation help professionals.
Books and Journals:
- Brueller, N.N., Carmeli, A. and Markman, G.D., 2018. Linking merger and acquisition strategies to postmerger integration: a configurational perspective of human resource management. Journal of Management, 44(5), pp.1793-1818.
- Dorgigné, Y., Abily, M., Salvan, L. and Gourbesville, P., 2018. Creation and Life of an Operational Crisis Management Centre in Nice Metropolis: Consolidation of Flood Events Handling Using Feedbacks Following the 3rd October Flood Event. In Advances in Hydroinformatics (pp. 483-496). Springer, Singapore.
- Enea, G., Sgorcea, R.M., Timberlake, J.M. and Osborne, S., 2018. Operational Integration of Required Time of Arrival (RTA) with Time-Based Management (TBM): Concept of Operations and Human-in-the-Loop Simulation Results. In 2018 Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference (p. 3668).
- Gray, J.V. and Massimino, B., 2018. Commentary on:“The Effect of Language and National Culture on Operational Process Compliance”. World Scientific Book Chapters, pp.143-147.
- Leone, P. and Porretta, P., 2018. Operational Risk Management: Regulatory Framework and Operational Impact. In Measuring and Managing Operational Risk (pp. 25-93). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Maring, L. and Blauw, M., 2018. Asset management to support urban land and subsurface management. Science of The Total Environment, 615, pp.390-397.
- Mulhanga, M.M. and Lima, S.R., 2018, March. Building Sustainable NRENs in Africa-A Technological and e-Education Perspective. In World Conference on Information Systems and Technologies (pp. 348-357). Springer, Cham.
- Nohara, D., Hori, T. and Sato, Y., 2018. Real-time reservoir operation for drought management considering operational ensemble predictions of precipitation in Japan. In Advances in Hydroinformatics (pp. 331-345). Springer, Singapore.
- Prajogo, D., Toy, J., Bhattacharya, A., Oke, A. and Cheng, T.C.E., 2018. The relationships between information management, process management and operational performance: Internal and external contexts. International Journal of Production Economics, 199, pp.95-103.
- Ramos, T.R.P., de Morais, C.S. and Barbosa-Póvoa, A.P., 2018. The smart waste collection routing problem: Alternative operational management approaches. Expert Systems with Applications.
- Repetto, M.P., Burlando, M., Solari, G., De Gaetano, P., Pizzo, M. and Tizzi, M., 2018. A web-based GIS platform for the safe management and risk assessment of complex structural and infrastructural systems exposed to wind. Advances in Engineering Software, 117, pp.29-45.
- Tavakoli, M., Shokridehaki, F., Akorede, M.F., Marzband, M., Vechiu, I. and Pouresmaeil, E., 2018. CVaR-based energy management scheme for optimal resilience and operational cost in commercial building microgrids. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 100, pp.1-9.