Menu planning is considered as procedure of deciding what restaurant, cafe or hotel will offer for each meal this will include main course or dishes, side dishes or starter and desserts (Bacon and Krpan, 2018). Cafe taken for this report is Pasco Cafe which is located at the busy high street among railway station and office. Now respective cafe owner want to design new menu so that they can attract new customers and retain old or existing one for long time. Topics included in report are evaluation of menus which are planned and designed for meeting customers as well as business requirement and it will also include development as well as evaluation of menu for meeting customer and business re
Examine the principles of menu planning and design to meet customer and business requirements for a range of different menus
Principles of menu planning:
There are several principles which Pasco Cafe need to considered while developing their menu so that they can retain existing customers and attract new one, from which some are mentioned below:-
- Respective cafe need to list their cold and warm dishes separately at menu.
- They also need to mentioned main course, sea food, soup, appetizer separately.
- Cafe need to mentioned their dishes in simple as well as clear manner without being so much flowery.
- Pasco Cafe need to list their lighter dishes before the richer one.
Trialling and testing different types of menus:
- À la carte:It refer to that menu which are separately priced item at menu. According to this respective hotel need to make À la carte menu for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinners as that will help in attracting all types of customers at huge ratio (Baiomy, Jones and Goode, 2019).
- Table d’hôte: It is also known as Prix fixe. According to this menu Pasco Cafe need to set or design multi-course meals along with few or less choice and for that customer will get charged specific total price.
Menu Planning constraints: There are several constraints which are required while planning a menu. Similarly in case of Pasco Cafe, constraints which they ned to considered are availability of equipments and ingredients, type of target market, staff skills, facility design and many more.
Determine the customer and business requirements which need to be fulfilled to maximise profits for a range of different menus
- Current trends influence menu choices: For Pasco Cafe it is essential to conduct market analyse and determine current trends so that they can develop menu accordingly as that will help in attracting customers (Liu and Long, 2016).
- Customer tastes, needs and preference: Respective cafe also need to develop food or dish according to their customers tastes, preference and need as that will help in increasing sales.
- Organisation target market:Cafe also need to determined their target market so that they can develop menu accordingly as well as it will also help ensuring sales and profitability.
- Conduct training to staff: Pasco Cafe also need to provide training session to their staffs so that they can make attractive and tasty dishes which like by customers as that increase sales and profitability.
- Provide equipment and facilities: Respective cafe also need to ensure that their staffs, chef and other members get proper equipments as well as facilities so that work can be performed properly.
- Meeting current legislation:Pasco Cafe need to consider each and every legislation such as dietary considerations and health, safety and hygiene requirements and many more as that will ensure health as well as safety of customers (Love and et. al., 2015). This will increase their sales, goodwill and profitability.
Produce a realistic plan to develop a menu which meets customer and business requirements to maximise profitability for a chosen organisation
While develop a new menu Pasco Cafe need to considered several factors so that they can meet customer as well as business requirement properly and that will also help them in increasing profit, from that some factors are given below:-
- Menu balance, creativity and imagination:It is essential for a restaurant, cafe or hotel to always make their menu attractive so that customer get encouraged to offer dishes. In respect of Pasco Cafe they may use attractive pictures of food, set attractive food name with charismatic fount style (Ozdemir and Caliskan, 2015). This is so because it will help them in attracting customers and increasing sales which increase profitability and fulfil customer and business requirement.
- Legal requirements: According to this every company need to set their business operations and functions according to their legal requirements. In respect ofrespective cafe they need to considered several legal requirements related to health and safety in order to ensure customer and worker safety.
- Menu according to different types of functions: In respect of this every hotel, cafe and restaurant need to develop different menu according to different function as that will help in attracting more customers (Rapoport, 2015). In respect of Pasco Cafe they also need to develop various menus such as normal day, conference based menu, fine dining menu, wedding menu and many more.
Produce a menu which meets customer and business requirements to maximise profitability fora chosen organisation
Every day menu
£ per person
· Selection of sandwich and home-made hand cut chips..........................£6.95
· Selection of Panini's and home-made hand cut chips............................£8.95
· Selection of Sandwiches and open rolls, Park Pie, Assorted Quiches, Home-made Sausage Rolls, selection of savouries........................................................................£13.00
· Basket of Plain Petit rolls, Carved Beef Platter, Selection of sandwich fillings, Marinated Chicken Drumsticks, Slice of Finest Pork Pie, Assorted Canapes, Scotch egg, Fresh mixed leaf salad.............................................................................................£15.95
· Basket of Plain Petit rolls, Carved Beef Platter,Fresh mixed leaf salad, Slice of Finest Pork Pie, Coleslaw Salad, Chinese Spare Ribs, Carved Gammon Platter, Selection of Pickles & Savouries, Marinated Chicken Drumsticks.............................................£18.95
Test and evaluate the menu produced
There are several methods through which cafe, restaurant or hotel can evaluate or test their menu, from which some are mentioned below in respect of Pasco Cafe:-
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs):It is a method which is used by a company in order to measure their performance in which they are engaged (Saaty and De Paola, 2017). In respect of Pasco Cafe, by developing KPI they able to know that how much sales they increased through new menu.
- Benchmarks: According to this method respective cafe will set particular standard which they want to earn in particular time period. Such as they will estimate the sales as well as profit ratio which they want to earn from new menu in specific period of time.
- Systems for collecting, recording and evaluating feedback: In respect of this evaluation method respective cafe will gather feedbacks from customers and evaluate their view point related to the new menu.
- Updating menus according to customer feedback: In respect of this test and evaluation method Pasco Cafe will develop or modify old menu according to the feedbacks as well as suggestions of customers (Straatsma and Kleinhans, 2017). This is so because that will help in attracting new customers and retaining old one.
By evaluating above mentioned points it can be summarised that while developing a menu a cafe, restaurant or hotel need to consider several factors and principles so that they can ensure that customers are getting proper foods and drinks. They also need to design different menu according to requirement such as À la carte and Table d’hôte. Firm also need to consider different factors which help them in increasing profit such as Customer requirements and Business requirements. Moreover there are several factors which are necessary to consider while developing a new menu such as develop creativity menu, adopt legal requirement, develop menu according to function and so on. This is so because that will help in increasing sales and fulfilling business and customers requirement. Along with this there are several method through which cafe can test and evaluate their menu such as setting KPI, benchmarks, taking feedback, develop menu according to feedback and so on.