The use of computer systems has become a quite general scenario in today’s world. The emergence of computer system and various applications associated with it has fetched an outstanding quantity of alteration in routine life of an individual. By the assistance of computer systems an individual can sustain and contend in the rapidly modifying environment. It is achievable simply by sharing of intelligence and enlightens that mounts with innovative progress (Avoine, Junod and Oechslin, 2007). In the current circumstances the analyst is asked to outline the hurdles and troubles persevering in CBL Ltd and the influence of these issues have consequence that record maintenance of complaint and feedback is not being done in a correct procedure. The analyst is supposed to create such a tactic and recommend an arrangement through which the company will sort out these issues and will be equipped with innovative technology. The introduction of new computer system help the company to meet the requirements of their clients.
UNDERSTAND FUNCTIONS OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
A computer is kind of electronic device which functions underside the influence of instructions retained up in its special storage memory, it assists in differentiating data, directing the information as stated in specialized set of laws, produce output, and accumulate the conceded output for prospect utilization (Blundell, 2008). Information’s are stored in computer systems.Usually three kinds of computer systems are found in prevalence which is shared as under:-
- Hybrid Computer System
- Analog Computer System
- Digital Systems
Major places where PC is used are as under
At Home: - PC is one among the most common gadgets in modern era which is often used every day at home. It helps in doing various works varies from entertainment to knowledge like accessing internet, playing game, homework, school projects and other daily works (Derdour and et al., 2012). Configurations recommended for PC at home are user friendly operating system like Windows, fast processor, RAM either of 2GB or 4GB, minimum of 160 GB hard drive, good quality of DVD drive or may be Optical drive, minimum 256MB of graphic card. Additional Peripheral devices required at home can be printer and joystick.
At Corporate Level: In present era of technological advancement, computer becomes the primary needs to fulfil various works at corporate level. PC is used everywhere from communication to recording and maintaining data and even help in analysing various fields of organisations (Fortier and Michel 2003). System requirement in case of business is quite advance than that of PC which is used at home. Offices PC must be loaded with advance operating system (presently Windows 8), quad core processor, and minimum of 4GB RAM ample space for data storage i.e. 800 GB of hard drive, high quality of DVD drive. Peripheral device for business use can be projector which is generally used for conference and meetings.
Different types of System Component, Software and Peripheral Device
A computer system is comprises of various parts which is termed as hardware. Description of a basic computer system is discussed below:
- Cabinet: A computer cabinet is a box with fitted, set or detachable side panels and doors. It contains a computer rack for installing computers or other electronic equipment.
- Processor: It is a part which deals with processing of data/inputs to give the desired output/result (Hura and Singhal, 2010).
- Mother Board: It is the main circuit board of computer which contains electronic circuit and chipsets .It is also known as the mainboard or logic board.
- Hard disk: Hard disk is used to store data which is being processed on computer. It can store data depending upon the memory of hard disk.
- RAM: RAM is volatile form of data storage. It is required to boot up the process and all the other work in a system.
- Power Supply: It provides electricity to the main board for functioning of the computer.
- System Port: It is a bridge between computer and outer peripheral devices. With the help of port any supported device can be connect from PC .
- Peripheral Devices: These are external devices uses to give instructions or command like mouse, keyboard, and scanner and also to generate output like printer, projector, etc.
- Operating System: It is a group of software which are used to manage the computer hardware and serves recognizable services for computer programs. Windows, MAC, Linux are some of the popular operating system.
- Software Utilities: Utility software is the one which simplify the work of daily basis. This software includes antivirus, backup and recovery software, disk cleaner and various others.
- Arithmetic Logical Unit (ALU): It is a digital circuit that performs logical operations. The inputs to the ALU are the data to be operated and a code is required so that to perform all the functions .
- Control Unit (CU): It is a unit which controls all the operation in a series. The function of CU is to give control and timing indication to every function running in a system. It manages the flow of data through different parts of the system.
- RAM: It stores a copy of main system program that controls general operations. Instructions are taken from the operator when system is running.
- Buses: It is a sub system that transfers data from inside parts to the outside device. It can connect several peripheral over the same set of wires .
- Graphics card: A Graphics card improves the processing of images and videos on the system. It is also termed as video controller or graphic controller .
- Cache Registers: Main aim of cache registers is to check and remove invalid instructions.
- Modem: It is a device which transmits the digital signal into analog signal which helps in transferring from one place to another.
A machine cycle is denoted as processor cycle or instruction cycle which is compromises of basic function executed by CPU. There are basically four steps involved in machine cycles i.e. fetch, decode, execute and store which is performed by the control unit . In the fetch operation, the control unit demands the main memory to offer commands which are located at addresses directed by the program counter stored in CU. In the second step, the decode operation is carried out utilizing the resources of instruction register to identify which gates should be processed among varying functional segments of CPU and what tasks are to be performed by the ALU (Kissoon, 2011). The third step, consists of execute phase where the logic of decoding gets established and crosses the charge of variable functional units as well the buses and ALU operations. The store cycle is the concluding phase where the output of the instructions is forwarded to its destined location which may be a register or a location in memory. Basic roles of machine cycles are as follows:
- Machine cycle basically used to estimate the execution and operation of various processes in a system.
- Various process in a system and Machine cycle assists in transfer of data among CPU and the input output module.
- Data processing is achieved using mathematical calculations and at the same instance logical operations as well.
System software is basically the operating system that manages computer resources at a low level. Main system software is compliers, loaders, linkers and debuggers. It can be classified into three categories. First is operating system software which is required to run other programs in a computer system. It manages both software and hardware of the system. It transfers human instructions into binary language. Second is system software which is used to convert high level language to machine level language. Compilers, interpreter and assembler are the three types of language translator (Mackenzie, 2003). Third is utility software which helps in managing and configuring the computers. Backup, recovery, disk cleaner, etc. comes under utility software. There are various utility software which are required for system functioning like MS-Office for word files and content work, Adobe Reader for reading pdf files and antivirus to keep system virus free.
Technical Overview for CBL Ltd.
By observing the requirements of CBL Ltd, the analyst suggests quick system which has a greater speed and reliable efficiency. The analyst recommends having a distributed database since they need to register complaint of their customer and keep a track of it. Moreover, they need to keep a status of the complaint as well as the feedback entertained by the customers (Mariana, Daniel and Colin, 2002). CBL Ltd will also need to integrate a LAN for connectivity among the computers so that multiple complaints are registered and information can be provided to client with any system. Also there is lack of systems which is a barrier to the performance of organization so keeping in view the strength of employees; the analyst recommends at least 25 systems which are up to date as per the latest software specification and duly performable hardware equipments like server, printer and routers . For an e.g. the desired specification could be an I3 or I5 Processor having speed of 3.2 GHZ and its compatible Intel Motherboard, 4 GB RAM, Hard Disk Drive worth 800GB, Network Interface Card for LAN connectivity and LCD monitors.
Evaluation of suitability of System Design
Evaluation is a process of analysing alternative and choosing best out of it which suit all particular task or scenario. In evaluating the system design some characteristics should be kept in mind. This includes examination of specified desires in which information is collected and same is matched with actual requirements (Fernández, 2000). After that, user feedback must be analysed which is done with the help of questionnaire, reviews and opinions about the opted systems. After completing this step, system examine is done which includes testing the system on various ground and checking whether the system will be able to perform all the tasks which needs to be accomplished by CBL Ltd and is able to prove its worth (Galvin and et. al., 2013).
Justification of Choice
The analyst justifies the recommended design as this system will be able to perform various kinds of functions. The company has added various innovative features in the product characteristics. Also duplication of work will reduce and performance of the employees will increase. This is the most suitable system for businessman as they can carry it anytime anywhere whenever required. The travellers can carry this while travelling because the system will help them to track the locations. World map will be installed in the system. The system is affordable and it can be used for various purposes. Working class people can use this for entertainment as well. The company can provide attractive covers and bags so that it can protect the system and makes it easy to carry .
Issues and Limitations of the Proposed System
It is not necessary that every system works perfectly and there are various issues which one might face while working on the system. All that issues affects the smooth running of the workforce. Error in the PC or error in the hardware system can create major problems which are as follows:
- Defects in hardware due to improper supply of electricity.
- Appearance of blue screen due to failure of operating system or due to dumping of memory (ACM Transactions on Computer Systems 2013).
- Installing of incompatible hardware or software may affect the working of the system.
- Failure of system boot due to any unexpected error.
- Issues in display of system due to graphics error
- Network connectivity loose due to LAN errors.
To overcome this issue, proper maintenance of system and use in required. Management is required to install and configure the drives correctly. To resolve the problem, various methods should be undertaken. These include online support of manufacturers which means consulting from the manufacturer while facing any problem. The user can approach through online so that problems can be identified in hardware and software devices. It is also required to solve the issues at the time of diagnosis of problems (Computers and computer systems. 2013). The system can be replaced or exchanged at that time so that the manufacturer can make certain improvements. Another way to resolve problem is POST (Power on Self Test). There are certain problems which occur at the booting of computer system. At that moment POST displays the issue of hardware system which is affecting the booting process. Diagnosing the problem at that time can help the operator to find the solution which can overcome the problems .
ROUTINE MAINTENANCE TASKS
It is essential to update all the installed software or utility within the system at periodic interval so as to ensure they keep operating well. This will help in protecting the system, from threats and intrusion. Software maintenance has gain attraction in recent years and provides company an opportunity to upgrade the license of different software. Software needs to be updated on yearly basis . This results in bringing some improvements and new features in the existing software.
It includes number of activities that are carried out simultaneously for system maintenance. It involves designing errors, removing programs, testing data, updating documentation and user support. Below shown is the procedure of system maintenance:
- Defragmentation: When files are stored in the system, they get fragmented into different location of the hard disk and consume more space and affect the performance of the system. To avoid this, the system is defragmented every month (Wolf, 2008).
- Disc cleaning: In order to provide protection to the system, disc cleaning is required. Cookies and files stored in the recycle bin affects the performance of the system, so to avoid this, cleaning is done (Gunther, 2011).
- Updating: To keep the system protected from various viruses and threats, it is must to keep the software updating at regular intervals. For example, it is essential to update the antivirus software periodically (Warford, 2009).
- Back up: It is very necessary to keep back up of important file so that in case if the system crashes all the files can be recovered.
- Physical maintenance: For better management of software, it is necessary to physically maintain the system. It helps in maintaining its performance, for example, proper dusting will protect the motherboard and its performance will not get affected.
Up gradation of Hardware and Software Components
There must be provision that the existing system can be upgraded in the future as technology keeps on changing with the passage of time. In order to upgrade the system, existing hardware and software are replaced with the upgraded hardware and software. This will enhance the performance of the system (Bryant and O'Hallaron, 2011). Below mentioned are few areas on which CLB must work on.Expanded motherboard: there must be provision that the main printed circuit board, that is, the PCB can be expanded in future so that more components can be attached to it.Replacement of device: CLB can benefit from the replacement of some of the components of the system. For example, in case of expanding the memory, existing hard disk can be replaced with that of new hard disk with more capacity. In addition to this, existing RAM can be replaced with higher performance RAM so as to enhance performance (Hura and Singhal, 2010). Existing mouse can be replaced with wireless mouse. Moreover, network card can be replaced with more efficient network cards.
After working on the above system, the researcher has gained ample of knowledge on the computer system and its components. It will enable to understand the actual requirements of the CBL Ltd. The report throws light on the up gradation and maintenance of various peripherals, components and software of the system so as to enhance its efficiency. Finally, it is recommended that CBL Ltd must outsource all the system related work so as to get better facilities and it will also help it in managing it work more effectively.
- ACM Transactions on Computer Systems. 2013. Genamics JournalSeek.
- Avoine, G., Junod, P. and Oechslin, P., 2007. Computer System Security: Basic Concepts and Solved Exercises. EPFL Press.
- Bryant, E. R. and O'Hallaron, R. D., 2011.Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective. 2nd ed. Pearson Education, Limited.
- Catsoulis, J., 2009. Designing Embedded Hardware. O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- Derdour, M. and et.al., 2012.An adaptation platform for multimedia applications CSC. Journal of Systems and Information Technology.