Culture is defined as the characteristics and knowledge shared by particular group of people which encompasses of language, cuisine, religion, social habit, custom and many more. These characteristics are based over certain norms or standards that are formed by group of people and then followed by the society to which they belongs. This report is about the impact of culture over business which contains a critical evaluation over the suggestion provided within article, agreeable and disagreeable things along with suggesti
1. Critical evaluation over suggestions
In presented article of cultural dimensions there are some suggestions provided regarding the ways in which an organisation can deal with cross-cultural difficulties that they have to usually face while operating at international level. But each action have both negative as well as positive impact over the operations performed within business. So in order to determine favourables and unfavourable aspects of suggestions critically valuation has been performed which is provided as under:
- It has been recommended above that a company must follows nation's culture in which it is operating while performing marketing activities in order to understand consumer behaviour. This will help an organisation to position itself much more quickly by serving its customer as per their cultural norms. But apart from this it also have a negative impact as it is not possible for a company to learn the culture so quickly which in turn may left a negative image of brand over target market.
- Another suggestion is provided in this article is that organisational values are not similar with individual values hence it must be identified and then supported by top management in order to develop an environment of shared understanding among employees. This proves to be a positive factor for an organisation as by adopting this a company at international level be able to bridge gap between cultural differences between two countries. In addition to this they will also be able to create value among employees which help in achieving loyal workforce that remains for longer period of time. But despite of this it also have a negative side as each individual is different in term of its cultural value which make it more difficult for an organisation to consider these all to form up its policies. In addition to this if these values are randomly selected according to organisational values then it may create conflicts among individuals.
2. Agreeable and disagreeable fact in article
In current article it has been specified that changes within communicational channel such as social media and social sharing has contributed toward toward changing the nature of culture as well as its impact over both organisation and individual. This is an agreeable fact as the invention of internet contribute up-to a great extend in integrating cultures that are followed over several geographical regions. This in turn has also improved the way businesses operated as it provided an opportunity to companies regarding targetting of customers who resides at different geographical areas. The result of which business get easier access as well as acceptance within new country as the product get already accepted by customer using internet.
On the other side it has been stated that companies must conduct a detail investigation over culture of a nation in which it is planning to perform its business operations. But this fact is not relevant as study of culture doesn't help a company to create it until and unless staff members are not ready to adopt changes in their working style as well as culture in which they use to work. This is because cultural study is generally performed by an organisation in order to improve its current policies as per the culture followed by a specific country. But these changes when not accepted by employees it may affect their performance as well as brand image at marketplace.
There are some suggestions that are provided to an organisation which want to expand its business activities across national boundaries for dealing with challenges that they have to face over international level. These recommendations are given below:
- An organisation must focuses toward providing flexible working hour option to its workforce so that they can perform their task more effectively as they have a chance to choose their working time as per their preferences.
- A company must focuses toward adopting situational leadership in order to operates its business activities effectively where employees have both higher as well as lower power distance according to the situation and capabilities of employees. This help in providing a maximum job satisfaction to workers.
- It is also recommended to an organisation which want to operate its business at international level that it must involve its staff members in strategy making process in order to avoid the cross-cultural errors. This will help in inviting new as well as innovative ideas within the organisation that help in improving the performance as well as brand image at marketplace.
From the above given report it can be conclude that cultural is one of the most essential factor within the organisation which have an huge influence over the performance of business. Therefore, it is very crucial for a company that it must focuses toward learning and understanding about the culture of another nation in which it want to operate. This will help in developing an understanding regarding the type of business offering and practices preferred by customer of particular country. In addition to this it will also help an organisation to later its product or services as per the demand and preferences of target market whyich provide greater success to them . The cultural dimension can be understood by implementing Hofstede cultural dimension model that provide a framework to develop understanding regarding cross-cultural factors that further support in avoiding cultural threat in business operations.
- Assiter, A., 2017. Transferable skills in higher education. Routledge.
- Boud and et. al., 2014. Peer learning in higher education: Learning from and with each other. Routledge.
- Edwards and et. al., 2014. Learning and study strategies: Issues in assessment, instruction, and evaluation. Elsevier.
- Terry, C., 2015, March. Media multitasking, technological dependency, & metacognitive awareness: A correlational study focused on pedagogical implications. In Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 1304-1311). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Wernersbach and et. al., 2014. Study Skills Course Impact on Academic Self-Efficacy. Journal of Developmental Education.37(2). p.14.